Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Roasted beets

As a family, we consume a lot of beetroot. We usually buy several tins of sliced beetroot each shopping trip and it will be added to sandwiches, wraps, burgers etc. My 5yo is a huge fan and often asks for 'beetroot sandwiches without the bread'.

I haven't had much success growing my own (though interestingly beets grown from seed have done better than store-bought seedlings) - it just doesn't get big enough. Recently though, I harvested a couple of golf-ball sized beets. Because we eat so much of the canned stuff, I thought I'd try something different. I used some to make a beetroot salad - finely chopped raw beetroot added to grated carrots and a few other ingredients for a zesty side dish.

Another beet got added to our weekly roast. Par-boiling then peeling the skin is probably the most time-consuming and messy part (some people wear gloves to prevent staining) but then it just got bunged in the oven with the rest of the veggies. The flavour was rich and earthy - very different to the tinned stuff. I think next time I'll add an onion to balance it with the rest of the meal.


Beets, carrots, potatoes and parsnips with garlic and rosemary - all from the garden - ready for roasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment